Thursday, February 23, 2012

Paula Deen's Pineapple Cake

I'm not a fan of pineapple but the name of this cake lured me in. Paula Deen's "Is it really better than sex? Cake" makes big promises from the get go.

There is no doubt the cake is delicious, but there were a few things I would change next time:
  • I thought the texture was too syrup-y due to the pineapple juices soaking into the cake. Next time I would definitely pour one-fourth out so that the cake retains some of its dry texture.
  • More pineapple chunks! I don't think one 20-ounce can of pineapples is enough. This is probably something that varies by taste, but I would recommend keeping an extra can on hand so that the entire cake can be generously layered with pineapple.
  • 2 boxes of french vanilla mix instead of 1. The french vanilla flavor was not as prominent as I would have hoped it to be. In fact, when I sliced off the cake, many people didn't even realize there was a pudding layer. I think 2, if not 3, boxes of mix would help create a thicker and more flavorful layer to the cake.
My other gripe with the cake--and this very well could be my own shortcomings in the department of decorating a cake--is that it didn't look aesthetically pleasing. For me, this recipe is not one that impresses from the outside (even though it does impress from the taste!).

Ingredients

  • 1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
  • 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1 (3.4-ounce) box French vanilla pudding, plus ingredients to prepare
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup flaked, sweetened toasted coconut

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare yellow cake mix as directed using a greased 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. While cake is baking, combine the pineapple and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Remove cake from oven and using a fork, pierce holes into cake. Pour pineapple mixture over hot cake and set aside.

Prepare pudding according to package directions. Spread pudding over cake and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Whip heavy cream and remaining sugar until stiff. Cover top of cake with whipped cream and sprinkle toasted coconut on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment